Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Happy Accidents

Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but some of my favorite designs from both PetalPetal and VintageChild:Modern have been the result of pure mistake, or what I like to call happy accidents. Most recently...


The Spring Collection No. 2 from VintageChild:Modern has an unexpected detail on the back which I'm sorry to admit is the result not of design intuition, but of losing my little head and cutting the back panels too short. But this is where a great opportunity appears and true creativity kicks in...


The little sky blue detail that resulted from my hurried measurements is so sweet and now I can't imagine this lovely little outfit without it! 


Other divine mistakes...


The Biggest Flower skirt from PetalPetal was the first skirt in our Flower Girl line and the result of (again, not proud to admit this) not calculating that a pleated waistband would need 3x the length of fabric (as it is pleated... yeah). That piece of short, pleated fabric became the flower that I attached to the first PetalPetal skirt, causing my sister-in-law to say, "Oh, I wish you had made that before I got married. It would be a perfect Flower Girl skirt!" And the seeds for PetalPetal were planted!



And the new Bubble Bloomer Shorts with Bow from VintageChild:Modern are incredibly sweet and the result of incredible chance (although I like to think I would have gotten here on my own eventually).


That little bow on the bum... meant to be for a Floppy Hair Bow until I set it down on top of the bloomers to grab a phone call. 

Ahhhh, genius at work...



So the take away from this little post? Not that I do many (many, many) things that make me wonder how I manage to keep my head on straight. You are free to forget that little behind-the-scenes insight into my life as a designer. But please remember that mistakes are opportunities, happy accidents and perhaps even a bit of divine intervention.


Much (Petal) Love,

Brianne
PetalPetal designs and VintageChild:Modern

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...